Technology advancement has brought a fast and significant changes on the pharmaceutical, Indonesian traditional medicine, food, cosmetic, and medical device industries. Those industries are able to produce a large-scale of products in wide range.
With support of technology advancement in transportation and borderless entry barrier in global trade, those products can be quickly spread all over countries through a wide distribution network and accessed by all levels of communities.
The product consumption tends to be increased in line with the change of community life style, including their consumptive behavior. Meanwhile the community capacity is not yet appropriate to do selection and use the products in rational and safe way. In the other hand, aggressive promotion is affecting consumers more overuse and not rational.
In fact the technology advancement in production, the global trade system and the consumers life style increase the risk with great impact on consumers health and welfare. If the product was substandard, damaged or contaminated with hazardous substances, the risk will be huge and promptly cause harmful to consumers security, health and welfare.
Indonesia should have an effective and efficient Drug and Food Control System (DFCS) with capability to detect, prevent and control such products in order to protect the consumers security and health in the country and overseas. Therefore, National Agency of Drug and Food Control (NA-DFC) is established with a national and international networking, authority to conduct law enforcement and highly credible professionalism.
To provide safe food and medicine to improve public health and national competitiveness
1. Strengthening Risk-based Drug and Food Control System to Protect Public Health
2. Encouraging Self Reliance of Business Actors in Ensuring Drug and Food Safety and Strengthening Partnership with Stakeholders
3. Enhancing NADFC Institutional Capacity
The protection of the public from drug and food products which pose risks to health
With high value commodities and many varieties of food products becoming BPOM's responsibility, BPOM have implemented comprehensive systems, corporate culture and world class facilities to ensure all products in Indonesia and exported products to other countries are registered to BPOM
- Industry certification in drug and food production based on good manufacturing practices
- Product evaluation prior to market circulation
- Post-market circulation supervision including sampling, laboratory testing, inspecting manufacturing and distribution infrastructures, as well as conducting investigation
& law enforcement
- Pre-auditing and post-auditing of product advertising and promotion activities
- Continuous research on the implementation of drug and food supervision policies
- Public service related to communication, information, education, and public warning activities
- Drug and Food Control has strategic function to protect public health, enhance quality of life and support national competitiveness
- BPOM is established with a national and international networking , authority to conduct law enforcement and higly credible profesionalism
- BPOM is a non-ministerial government institution led by Chairperson, which directly responsible to the President of Republic of Indonesia
- BPOM has 33 regional offices which supported by accredited laboratories in each office (ISO/EIC 17025:2005)
- Presidential Decree no 80/2017 regarding BPOM to strengthen BPOM's regulatory function in law enforcement
- Presidential Instruction no 3/2017 regarding the Drug and Food Control Effectiveness Improvement
- Regulation of the Head of the NADFC no 26/2017 on the organization and business process of NADFC
- Regulation of the Head of the NADFC no 11/2018 on Classification Criteria of Technical Implementation Unit in NADFC
- Regulation of the Head of the NADFC no 12/2018 on Organization and Technical Implementation Unit in NADFC
To facilitate food and drug testing in Indonesia, Badan POM has 26 testing laboratories spread out in almost all 33 provinces which have been accredited to ISO 17025:2005 and 9001:2008